Did you know dogs would eat almost anything you give them? And did you also know that some common foods and drinks are bad — fatal, even — to your four-legged friend?
While feeding them any food or drink will make them happy, this unconscious habit also puts them at risk.
So, let’s change that.
The seeds of apples contain amygdalin, which is a form of cyanide that’s harmful to dogs — and humans, too. Ingestion will result in poisoning and difficulty breathing.
Persin is a fungicide that an avocado creates on its own. While the fruit’s ability to whip up something from scratch is praiseworthy, persin causes allergic reactions to your dog.
Chocolate contains theobromine, which is a bitter alkaloid that spells out disaster for your dog’s nervous system. If you let them have chocolates, don’t be surprised by the upcoming danger. Diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, tremors, irregular heartbeat, and even death are around the corner.
Letting your dog lick the foam of your coffee is both unsanitary and harmful — albeit cute. That’s because the caffeine found in coffee can lead to muscle tremors and heart palpitations for them.
5. Cooked bones
They cause structural damage to your dog’s internal organs. But because your canine friend loves to chew bones, here’s a workaround: Treat them with raw or uncooked and small or bite-sized bones.
Kidney failure. That will be your dog’s endgame if you keep giving them grapes. Short-term effects include repeated vomiting, hyperactivity, lethargy, and depression.
Diarrhea and intestinal upset are what’s coming to your dog if you give them store-bought milk. While milk may seem loaded with nutritional value, it’s a lactose product.
And it’s a lactose product that a specific enzyme, lactase, has to break down. Unfortunately, dogs weren’t born with it.
Onions make your dog’s breath stink. And more than that, these plants can irritate their digestive system. Plus, if your canine companion ingests mass quantities of onions, they’re bound to have a depleted supply of red blood cells.
9. Raw eggs
Raw eggs contain avidin, a biotin inhibitor that interferes with the absorption of an essential vitamin in dogs. The result? Problematic skin and coat plus a risk of getting E.coli, salmonella, and contract other bacteria.
Feeding your dog lots of potato chips is a no-no. For a short time, it can cause dehydration, vomiting, tremors, and depression. If you’re wondering what the long-term damage is, it’s death.
Don’t panic immediately, though. Except for grapes, coffee, and chocolate, high amounts of the above-mentioned foods and drinks can put your dog at stake.
So, if you made the mistake of giving them stuff you’re supposed to avoid feeding dogs, you can redeem the situation. Monitor your dog for unusual activities or call a veterinarian for expert advice.